Make Ahead Simple Breakfast Whipped Orange Waffles
Is morning time chaotic at your house? I need something that I can make ahead and turn out a simple breakfast, like these whipped orange waffles.
Korey’s afternoon preschool likes to serve fresh fruits, makes me happy! When Korey is coming home singing how much he loves oranges you know I need to find a new way to introduce them.
While we are working on Kyler’s eating difficulties, it works to our favor to try and find new ways to introduce food to him. He loves waffles so why not try to make both kids happy?
This version can also be made two ways, with or without eggs! One of the hardest things for me is making sure that I bring a variety of foods to my family and you, my audience. I am still learning to not be a picky eater, going from only eating chicken fingers or BLTs at restaurants to trying many different things.
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons warm almond milk mixed with 1 tablespoon Bob’s Red Mills egg replacer, let thicken for about 5 minutes (or 1 extra large egg).
- ½ cup soft coconut oil
- up to 2 cups almond milk
- dash of pure maple syrup
- 1 standard size orange
- Start by peeling the orange and then cutting off the remaining outer white segment skin. Put the orange pieces in the blender and turn on high until broken down into a smooth liquid. Transfer to a small container and store in the refrigerator. We do this ahead of time and then just scoop out what we need. You will want about 2 tablespoons for this recipe.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate large measuring cup combine the all of the wet ingredients, withholding only the second cup of almond milk.
- Slowly combine the dry and wet mixtures, when smooth, add in any additional almond milk needed.
- Pour into your hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown on both sides. I like to grease ours with a little bit more coconut oil for little extra crispiness.
What is your go to waffle combination?