You’re laying in bed, attempting to be as comfortable as possible, you think this is finally the chance to sleep and then it comes: leg cramps. Leg cramps while pregnant are horrible. They can ruin a whole night or leave you unable to get up at all. Here’s the breakdown of why you get them and how to help prevent them and make them go away.
Why The Hell Do I Ow In My Leg?
Well there could be a couple of reasons but ultimately there is no answer, sorry. Your diet, weight, hormones from pregnancy, or because as women we are just meant to suffer for the love of our children. While there may not be an answer as to why my leg can cramp up bad enough that I want it cut off like Hershel from The Walking Dead, I do know there are a few tricks to make it go away.
Leg cramps in pregnancy can come at any time, but usually more towards the second half of pregnancy and especially at night.
So How Can I Make Leg Cramps Go Away?
Here are a few suggestions on how to make them go away.
- Drink plenty of water. You should really be getting your 8 glasses a day, if you can get more in that’s great! When I was pregnant with Korey, my first, I bought a few different reusable water bottles that told me the amount so I could keep track of how much I drank.
- Flexing your foot. Try flexing your foot by moving your ankle towards and away from your shin to get the cramp out, nice slow stretches. This is the method I love using.
- Push your foot against something. Some mom’s swear by pushing their foot off a wall or their partners hand.
- Get enough calcium and magnesium. Not having enough of this in your diet might be a cause for them as well.
- If nothing works make sure to ask your doctor. Not to scare anyone but leg cramps could be signs of blood clots as well. To make sure you are okay it’s always great to ask your doctor about cramps that you cannot shake. Never be afraid to call your doctors office for anything, they should be willing to answer any and all questions that you might consider important or even ones you think are stupid.
What are your tips for getting rid of leg cramps while pregnant?