Until a few days ago I had never tried a blood orange. I picked up a package of what I thought were small oranges and by happy mistake they were blood oranges! I will admit that I was a bit weary of trying them until I bit into the juicy orange-berry flesh of it. If you have never tried blood oranges I truly recommend it.
Some fun facts about the blood orange :
- The red color is an antioxidant, so this fruit is begging to help you
- Loaded with vitamin C
- Provides fiber
If you are are to find this in your local stores pick it up! My son LOVES this and his is a picky sensory eater. Here is how to make my delicious blood orange smoothie.
- ½ medium banana sliced
- 5 strawberries sliced
- 1 peach sliced
- 2 blood oranges, one sliced
- ½ c. milk of your choice
- 5 ice cubes
- Chia seeds optional
- Add milk and banana, strawberries, peach, ice, and one blood orange sliced
- Blend until smooth and pour into glass
- Cut second orange in half and poke with fork to break skin and allow juices out
- Squeeze both halves of the orange over top of smoothie and stir
- Add chia seeds on top for more healthy benefits
If you’re looking to get healthier this new year including the blood orange is an excellent idea! Look for more recipes and smoothies to get this year started being your healthiest year yet!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email. Free fitness tracker to help stick to your healthy routine.