Since I am sick and breastfeeding I decided to do a little research and gather information on what I should or shouldn’t do while I’m nursing. As most of my readers are mommy’s I would like to share some things I found!
1. Keep nursing! As long as you are not taking any medication that can affect the baby and you feel like you psychically can, you should keep nursing. There is nothing better than cuddling up with your baby and nursing and feeling their warmth.
2. Wash your hands! Especially when you are a SAHM you are always touching your baby or their things. When your nursing you have to pick up your baby, sometimes you have to move them and make sure they are latched. Think of all the things you touch all day that everyone in your family could come across. You are spreading your germs if you do not wash your hands! Any time you cough wash your hands. Use a hand sanitizer as well. I use Prefense, it has no alcohol in it and is safe if there is any reason I need to put my fingers in the baby’s mouth.
3. Drink fluids. This is always recommended with any sickness and especially while breastfeeding. You need to make sure you are making the same amount of milk and if you are dehydrating yourself then you are doing the same with your milk. I LOVE drinking hot tea with honey. It helps coat the throat and open nasal passages.
4. Ask before you take. Do not assume that you can take any type of medication. Anything you take passing through you to the baby while you are nursing. There are a lot of drugs that you cannot take. It is best to really try and avoid any type of medication but if you must take anything consult your doctor before you do.
5. Get rest. When your sick you know how tired and grumpy you can get. Add that to a baby crying at you and no sleep. Yeah you get the idea. Find someone who can watch the baby for a bit if your not getting enough rest at night. Happy mommy is a happy baby!
Off to have a pipping hot cup of tea!