10 Best Haunted Houses Across the Country
With Halloween coming, so are the haunted houses, corn mazes and more! If you like to be scared out of your mind and have some fun, you do NOT want to miss these 10 Haunted Houses and Attractions across the country!
- Pennhurst Asylum – Spring City Pennsylvania– Rated the most scariest Haunted House in America many times, the Pennhurst Asylum takes place in real life old Mental Institution! This is a hospital theme and they have spared no expense with animatronics. They have a 900 foot underground tunnel with catacombs that were used when the hospital was in order. They also have a self-guided ghost tour of the Mayflower Dormitory, the most active building for paranormal investigators and featured on Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures.
- The 13th Gate – Baton Rouge Louisiana – The 13th Gate has recruited many top movie professionals for special effects and make up so you won’t be able to tell the difference in what is real and what is fake! They feature over 200 actors in the 30-minute walk and over 13 different themes, from the underwater city of Atlantis to the fog-filled streets of London. Next door is their sister location a Haunted Graveyard!
- Netherworld – Atlanta, Georgia – Known for their over the top special effects they add something new every year and are wildly popular for the variation of monsters!
- House of Torment – Austin, Texas – The House of Torment has been in the Nation’s top 5 scariest Haunted Houses for several years, they have 3 different haunted sections and themes including the slater house!
- The Dent Schoolhouse – Cincinnati, Ohio – This Haunted House wins the biggest creep factor in my book. This is the school house where the Freddie Krueger story originated and is supposed to be haunted by a Janitor named Charlie and the kids he murdered (in real life!). They change about a third of their attraction every year to keep it fresh. Areas include a cafeteria filled with bodies and a prom dance that has been frozen in time.
- Blackout – Los Angeles, California – You know it’s bad when you have to sign a waiver and have to be 18 or older just to enter! They claim the reason for this is because you will experience ‘extreme horror, adult sexual content, tight spaces, darkness, fog, strobe light effects, exposure to water, physical contact, and crawling’ Amongst other things I’m sure. This is one of the places the actors CAN touch you and while what happens every year changes, reports range from one actor fake peeing on them, walking through a hall of ‘used’ condoms, being grouped, being forced to put things in your mouth and more. You are given a safety word if you want out and it’s too much. But this is the extreme Haunted House and becoming more and more popular!
- The Darkness – St. Louis, Missouri – Taking haunted houses to a new level with a 3D haunted house! This house gets a full on renovation every year so each year you get a new experience!
- Erebus – Pontiac, Michigan – The story is a Dr was trying out a time machine and every time he send people back in time they ended up with a virus that killed them all. He tried several times and is now broke and has disguised his time machine as a haunted house and is sending the general public back in time to test it! They have a disclaimer on their website that they are located in the most popular haunted area of Michigan with over 70 haunts in a 50 mile radius so because of this they don’t buy any of their props, they make all their own!
- Cutting Edge – Fort Worth, Texas – This haunted house is the longest haunted house in the world! It will take you an hour to get through! They are a Guinness Book of World Record Holder. You enter room after room where they put you right in the middle of your worst fears, from claustrophobia and just about any other fear you can think of!
- The Bates Motel – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – This house includes a haunted hayride in the forest with huge detailed sets! The Bates motel is a Victorian Mansion converted to this haunted house with over 25 actors popping out at every turn and top of the line special effect The Bates Motel has been in the top 10 Haunted House list for several years!
What is your favorite Haunted House to visit?